Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Outreach

So, I wrote out this whole blog and lost in when my internet shut down. I don't know that I'll have the energy to rewrite everything. . .we'll see!

Today, we went to Doryum for an outreach with a team that is here from the States (Detroit, to be exact). There is a nurse with them, and she wanted to see women and children. While she was talking with the families, another lady from the team, a retired teacher named Ola, and I worked with the kids outside. We probably had close to 250 kids show up--a little unexpected!! We handed out paper and pencils and told them to begin drawing, and all of a sudden we were RUSHED for supplies. It was really overwhelming! But, eventually, we were able to get them calmed down and we had a little bit more fun with them. Ola read them a story and played some games with them and I sang some songs with them.

It was raining for most of the day, so after awhile, we sent the kids home as the rain really started coming down and the kids hadn't had their lunches yet. At that time, I got to visit with some really great people that were on our team for the day (all Ghanaian couples!). James and Gifty are a young couple that are just so gentle and loving and seriously love the Lord! I talked with James for a long time today. I also got to talk for a little bit with another couple that opened a school in their own village. Leticia (the wife) is interested in teaching with us. So nice! And I spent a little time with Lucy, Juanita, and Providence (staff with City of Refuge). They are so funny! Providence couldn't say my name today (they have a really hard time with "Autumn"), so I said that they could call me "Afi" and after that, they began talking to me more. They love to laugh and joke around (especially Providence and Juanita who are dating).

I need to go hop in the shower as tonight, we are heading out to Chinduri (that's not how you spell it, but that's how it sounds so that's how I'm going to spell it!) at 1 am. I have to go to sleep early to be ready for the big trip! We'll get to do some work with the fishing kids and I'm excited to see what God does. Pray for opportunities!

How did it go with any of you who tried to carry things on your head today? I'll get a picture posted one of these days! The ladies (and the guys too) can carry such high things on thier heads. It's pretty amazing!

Also, wanted to send you a link to a video I was able to upload on youtube (it took all night!). It's a tour of the Freedom Center (not all of it, but the rooms we are using for school classes right now). Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2XMtxr9icA

No comments:

Post a Comment