Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Trouble with the Past

We've been facing some challenges lately with one of our kiddos. Abigail came to us over a year ago and when she arrived, we knew that she had faced a really rocky past. She had run away from her slave-owners three times and we knew that she had a past history of stealing. All of that came with her when she arrived, yet a year ago, we noticed a change in Abigail. She stopped stealing, started really enjoying living her life with us, and was so much happier than when she had first arrived.

But, this week, her past caught up with her in a big way. I don't even remember how it all came out, but it was one thing after another until a whole list of problems came up, all having to do with something missing and it all involved Abigail.

We found out that she had been stealing from other students in the school, from us here, spreading rumors about different things...all kinds of trouble. It really confused me because I had seen such a great change in Abigail's life, and all of a sudden, she was returning to where she came from.

So, we addressed it in a big way! Abigail lost a lot of priveledges, gained some extra chores, and ultimately, lost a lot of trust in the house. Saturday, after finding a few more things in her possession, I went through her whole cupboard and came out with half a large Ghana-Must-Go bag of stolen items. Even some things that she took from me...socks that she must have taken from the clothesline...so much of the stuff was really strange for her to take.

In the end, the staff girls and I talked with her for a little while and she finally admitted to the stuff that she had taken. She had previously been making up a lot of stories about where the stuff had come from. And finally, when she admitted to it, we realized that this is really something that has come from the past and is just so difficult for Abigail to break off of herself. I could tell that she felt bad, but she didn't know how to stop.

So, the staff girl's and I just prayed over her. We prayed that the enemy would take his hands off of Abigail...that Abigail would hear the voice of the Father over anything else...and that God would speak to her of HIS LOVE and her identity in Him.

I'm continuing to pray healing over Abigail and will trust that with all the healing that we've seen before, she will be healed completely from this problem. The past doesn't have to control her any longer!!

3 comments:

  1. My first thoughts when I read this post were oh my dear Abigail! My experience has been when one finds themelves surrounded by so much love, there is a little part of of us that wants to say, "Right, I am so loveable, let me show you!" I have found that when genuine, pure, love is given, all that is unlike love comes to the surface to be healed and given up to God. For me, Abigail is just sooo sure she is not loveable she is going to show just how unloveable she is. Thank God, we know the truth about her! She is a divine child of God. My prayers and love are with you and Abigail and actually ALL of you! Just keep claiming the light of God in her and soon she too will believe that she is just that, "A divine, loving child of God!" God bles you for the work you do! You are a true inspiration!!!!! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I left an "s" off of bless...I hate when I mess up! Thankfully, I know you know what I meant and forgive me for it. :0) Valerie

    PS...and I even proof read it...geez :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Valerie for your prayers and your encouragement. Such good truth! We'll just keep praying that God's love will be her identity and not this stuff!

    ReplyDelete