Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, August 16, 2010

D.K.

Since today is Monday, I wanted to tell you all about one of the kids here at the Freedom Center. D.K.!! I've mentioned him before in some of my posts. Click on this link to see a picture: http://www.facebook.com/autumnbuzz#!/photo.php?pid=5310374&id=552826775&ref=fbx_album
He's funny, energetic, and talented. Here's what I know about D.K.

D.K. was rescued this year on Father's Day from his slave master in Adacope (the fishing village where we went and met with the chief on our trip a few days ago). He had been trafficked to the area and had been fishing the lake for five years at the time of his rescue (he's 11 years old). He was rescued with his cousin, Abigail. They both speak Ada (a local language) and are learning English. D.K. is a very eager learner. He has been grasping more and more of the language and loves to put it to use.

D.K. loves jewelery. Everyday, without fail, I'll hear, "Mommy, give it to me" as he tugs on my necklace! He's inherited a few things along the way because of his persistance!! He likes to wear necklaces, bracelets, rings.

He loves to play soccer and enjoys kicking the ball around at any point during the day. Even when it is really hot outside and all the other kids are indoors relaxing, you will find D.K. outside with the ball. He especially loves giving sweaty hugs and making you squeal!

Both him and Abigail have not spent much time around white people, so they both find my skin especially interesting. D.K. likes to poke at all my freckles and moles and pull on my arm hair (they don't have any). He says I'm "obruni-coco" (white person), to which I reply "obruni-tutu" (black person).

As I learned from my trip to Lake Volta, fishing kids have some really developed muscles. This is true for D.K. as well. He is very strong and I'm sure I would lose in an arm wrestle! For a child, he is very muscular.

D.K. is usually always happy and energetic. Occasionally, he has some anger problems where he just crosses his arms and shuts down until the problem is solved or goes away. We're still working on problem solving skills with him. Pray that his heart would continue to soften and healed!

This little boy is the face of human trafficking here in Ghana, but he is also the face of FREEDOM! Pray for more to be rescued, freed, and given the opportunity of a life, love, hope, education, and relationship with Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment