Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's been a week! Can you believe it?

I've been here one full week! Can't hardly believe it! In some ways, I feel like I stepped right off the plane. In other ways, I feel like I've been here a long time and feel very settled.

Today was a very full day and I'm EXHAUSTED! This morning, we hung around the house for awhile getting some things together for the day. When we got to the Freedom Center, it was school mode. The kids had their books out, had just finished some multiplication tables, and were ready for my lessons for the day. We worked on making the calendar, we sang some calendar songs, and the kids had lots of fun.

In the middle of our project, a group came in that was touring the facility. They are from America and are working with the Ghanaian government to identify any orphanages that are unsafe, or have children that are not really orphans (It's a huge problem and something the government is investigating, especially since there have been adoptions of children that aren't orphans in the recent past). They seemed to really enjoy the Freedom Center. They will be in and out the remainder of the week interviewing kids. One of the girls was actually a student at Stanford University, so that was a fun connection!

We also worked on spelling and began reading a Nate the Great story and worked on comprehension and vocabulary. Tomorrow, we're going to be doing more vocabulary and phonics practice. We'll probably rotate spelling and phonics for right now. We'll see. . .

It was fun though because in between each subject change, I played different songs and made them get up and do the motions. They loved head, shoulders, knees, and toes the best! They were really funny! Even the older ones got really into it!

This afternoon, I tested one of the kids, Mershak. He is so artistic, and very detailed! It was fun to see him because he is usually so quiet. I didn't finish the test though as we were going to go play some soccer. Will finish tomorrow.

Tomorrow, we're going to do some music in the afternoon. I'm excited, but a little nervous. Sometimes the kids can be a little overwhelming when I pull out anything new (like instruments to play), so we'll see how it goes! Hopefully, it will be fun and the kids will enjoy it. We'll see, huh?

Soooo. . .since you've heard every detail of my first week here, I'm going to be starting something new in the next posts! That way, maybe you can experience a little more of my journey here, rather than just details.

Every day, I will post any interesting info that I experienced that day, but I'm going to try to incorporate a theme a day that will encourage you to participate in some way--either write back here or on my facebook link! It would be a fun way to hear how you are interacting with my trip and just to hear from you as well!

Monday--I will post the story and a picture (if I can get it to work) of a kid from the Freedom Center or one of the Omorefe's children.

Tuesday--I will post an update about the school and the progress with that.

Wednesday--I will post an interesting Ghanaian tradition or part of their culture--you have to try it out yourself, so you'll feel like you're experiencing something the way I am!

Thursday--I will write about something that God is challenging me with or teaching me.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday--Free days, I'll just write whatever.

Sooooo, I'll see how the first week goes with this and if it's fun for everyone involved, we'll continue! Get ready for your fun Ghanaian tradition tomorrow! I've learned (or observed) a few already that I can't wait for you to try!

Off to bed! Tomorrow is a new day!

4 comments:

  1. Autumn it is so delightful to hear the joy in your post of the challenges and rewards you are already experiencing, one week and a life time of impact on you and the children, we pray for your health and energy - the quote I am attaching is one I love but I think you will see the results of you efforts - "You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
    – Mahatma Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I'm going to enjoy Wednesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited about the themes. I had another idea...maybe you could end each post with a question. I think it may prompt people to comment more. Also, I have a question for you...do you see a lot of Americans in Ghana? I was wondering because you mentioned the chica from Stanford, which was such a cool connection, so I was curious if this is a common occurrence. (Didn't realize that occurrence was spelled with two r's.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea Jenni! I should come up with some questions. I'll have to think some up.

    And yes, I have met a few Americans. But, not a whole lot. There are some that live here permanently and I've met a few others that are here on mission.

    ReplyDelete