Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Full Day!

Tuesdays I am supposed to update you on the progress of the school, but there is very little new information to add and it's been a very busy day, so I'll give you a brief update and then let you know what is up for me this next week!

This week, I worked on emailing out publishers, school districts, and schools that I knew to ask about curriculum for the school. I got a few responses, so I definitely have something to work from. I was also able to connect with a lady that's visiting here and knows someone from a local private school that might be a good connection. So, things are moving along.

Our summer classes are going well, though I'm having a difficult time getting as much done with so many different levels in the classroom. I will definitely need to sit down and figure this out before our September start date rolls around. Any ideas for how to manage combo classes? Send them my way!

I will probably not be able to blog again until Saturday as we are doing some outreach in the villages for the next few days. Therefore, I also need to assign you a Wednesday "African Culture" challenge. My challenge for you. . .try carrying everything on your head today. Most people here, especially if they are selling things, will carry the items on their head. They wrap a towel into a circle, put that on their head to kind of cushion the item that they are carrying (whether it be a basket full of clothes, a bowl full of water, anything!). I tried to get a picture, but forgot to get my camera out of the trunk when we were out and about today. Will work on updating my pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. We met with a nurse today that said some of the complaints that she hears from women has to do with neck and shoulder pain from all of the heavy loads that they carry on their heads. So, in today's challenge, attempt a laundry basket on your head. . .a bowl of watermelon. . .a bucket of water. This is an everyday way of transporting things here. It can't be too hard, right??

Tomorrow, we will be going to Doryum, a village located outside of Tema, to do an outreach. Doryum is where we will be moving at the end of October. It is a nice little village, quiet and peaceful. It definitely has a sense of bustling around in the center of town, but not much! We'll be doing an outreach with a nurse, and I'll be helping with activities for the kids. So fun! Then, we'll be leaving at 1 am (Thursday morning) to head up to the fishing village off of Lake Volta where John and Stacy are doing their work. It is exciting to get to see what they've been up to up there and the ways that they've influenced the community. We'll be doing more nursing clinics and also children's activities, a feeding station for the fishing kids, an entrepeneurship workshop for single mothers, and a crusade. Pray for opportunities and for God's presence to be made real there! The only way the fishing trade will stop is with CHANGED HEARTS!

Off to bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment