Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Frustrating Work of a School

Today, we met with the GES department regarding our school curriculum. Let's just say that it was an incredibly frustrating meeting.

We discussed with them that we would like to run a Ghanaian/American curriculum concurrently. It was a battle the entire meeting to get them to understand why we wanted to run an American curriculum (our ideas have to so with the quality of the curriculum in particular) for their Ghanaian children. In fact, they had problems with almost everything that we do...

We talked about the issue of child trafficking and slavery here in Ghana and the work that we are doing to stop it in the Volta region. First of all, they said they didn't agree with our terminology, stating that slavery has been abolished, so there is no longer slavery here in Ghana or in the world as a whole (to which I wanted to reply, "Closing your eyes to issue doesn't make it disappear", but I kept my mouth quiet). Secondly, they told us that the work that we are doing there isn't where we should be focusing but should be focusing on children from our own region. I felt like I couldn't even cast the vision without them interrupting to put in their own opinion of what we should do.

Then, when it got to the school and our operation, they just kept shaking their head at us. We talked about how our parents are aware of the current curriculum and what that might mean for their child and they only commented on our parents lack of education and that even if they signed a form, they didn't understand what they were signing so it doesn't mean anything.

The whole conversation was frustrating for me. I felt defeated when I left.

Yes, I want our children to have access to their culture and curriculum, which was why we came in the first place. But, I also want them to have a quality education. I want them to leave our school able to read and write and know a great depth of knowledge.

I felt like I had to sacrifice some of my dreams on their altar...but (and there is always a but!) I know what God has said about this school and I'm going to believe the things that He spoke to me about Faith Roots over the things that these people are trying to require of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment