Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Teaching

This year, I've transitioned into a role of full-time administration at our school. But there are times, like today, when I really wish I were back in the classroom.

I got to spend a little bit of time today with some of the kids that we're doing choir with at school and then some kids that I'm doing a drama with. It was so fun and I miss spending time getting to know my students.

And then, I was chatting with our volunteer, Josiah, and he was just telling me about sitting in on one of the classes and how the teacher was teaching the class. He said, "I'm not a teacher, but I could teach in this school." I know he meant no harm, but it was frustrating to know that our kids just aren't getting what I could give them because they just aren't trained well enough (and honestly, can be a bit lazy in their teaching). Sometimes, I just want to get in their classrooms myself and see if my teaching could make a difference. But, ultimately, I want these teachers to WANT to see these children succeed (which means that they have to figure out ways to get these students to understand what they want them to understand).

Someday, I'll probably be back in the classroom, but until then, I need to find a way to make teaching a passion for these teachers. To teach them the joy and beauty of seeing that "aha moment" when they finally GET it or seeing a child's eyes light up when they read for the first time or the laughter that comes with relationship. These children are our future and if education is the key...it's got to become a priority for those that are teaching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment