Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's Just a Normal Day

The longer I've been living here, the more it feels normal to live here. When I first arrived, the culture was so different that it constantly felt like I was being barraged by something new. As I've now been here for almost 7 weeks, the things that culturally overwhelmed me in the beginning just feel normal. So, when I come to write a blog, I struggle to find anything new to talk about. Everything seems "same old, same old". Today, I figured I'd just tell you about some of the random things that have been part of my days lately.

*Been reading "Mockingjay" via downloaded Kindle on my computer. Totally enthralled. I think that had something to do with the dream I dreamt this afternoon about rescuing a giraffe on the Colorado river with the Beatniks and Cinderella's Prince Charming. Random!

*Feel like Stacy, John, and I are constantly talking about new ways that God can use them here in Ghana--water purification and harvesting, ecological buildings, a fair trade company with some of the single moms, logistics company for adoptions, outreaches in Tema New Town and Chinduri, all kinds of projects--the ideas just keep flowing!

*Laughing at the funny things the kids do--like Justice (1 yr old) pushing JJ (6 yrs old) across the living room, or Caleb being so involved in his play world that he forgets we're still walking home and waiting for him to catch up, or Miracle asking to repeat the story of when the cow stuck her head in our basement window when I was a kid.

*trips to Accra means a chance to rest my brain from all the thinking and prep I've been doing lately--even if they are only for a couple of hours!

*Writing things on my to-list that I already finished just for the pleasure of crossing them off my to-do list.

*Planning for grades 1-4, and 8th grade. Whew! What a job!

*Spending time with the kids at the Freedom Center--giving lots of hugs and handshakes, playing games, and hanging out.

*Spending lots of time on edhelper.com and superteacherworksheets.com. Thank goodness for them or I don't know what I'd be doing with my class come Tuesday.

*Sorting through supplies (thanks to all of you who donated to the school--we're ready!) and coming up with teacher materials (thanks Tami for all the Brentwood materials I was able to change into Faith Roots materials).

*Meetings, meetings, meetings--been meeting a lot with other teachers and our intern in prep for the "fall" (there is no fall here--only rainy and dry season).

*Praying and worshipping--been spending a lot of time praying over this school, over this season, over this time--want to see what God has for me and how long I should be here. In that too, I've been spending a lot of time either with my ipod or my guitar at hand (more with my ipod lately than with my guitar) with some good worship, that brings me back to who I am in Christ.

*Trying to keep updated on stuff at home. Love that some friends have been sending me "blogs" of what their day to day life is looking like. Makes me feel like I'm not that far. And others have kept up with me here or on Facebook or skyping with me when they can. Thank you! I need that to feel like I'm connected!

*And there are just some random thoughts of mine. . .off to another normal night of sleep and into a normal day (the day before school starts) tomorrow. Be praying! Gotta a lot of work to do with the teachers before our big day on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment