Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Day of School

For all the nerves that the first day usually brings, today went suprisingly smooth! I think part of it had to do with the laid back attitude of Africa. It made it a little bit easier when I didn't feel so much pressure to be on top of my time.

We started school a little bit late this morning. I was able to get to school early and from the mess that I left yesterday, we were able to put it together before everyone came for our morning assembly. So, desks were ready, projector plugged in, everything was together for our big day. We got started a big late, but I just considered it running on African time. We all gathered in my class for pledges and the school song (a song I wrote based on our school verses, Eph. 3:14-21). The kids loved it. Then, we had out morning meeting. We are talking about the Fruit of the Spirit and talked about LOVE--how to love one another and love God. Definitely a good talk to have since all day, we had to break up fights. I don't know is up with that, but leave them alone at recess, and all of sudden someone is crying because they've been beaten.

Tangent, sorry! Anyway, after our morning meeting was our Bible lesson. We are talking about creation right now and the kids were interested and involved in the lesson. After that, we seperated out to our individual classes. My class set up their tables and most of the day, I spent explaining procedures of the class. They really got into team points. That was really fun! For the most part, even if not everything was accomplished today, I would count it as a successful day. There weren't many in-class problems and the kids seemed excited about their work.

One disappointment was one of the teachers and our office administrator (they are a couple) decided not to accept the job. They had originally accepted the position, but based on salary, didn't think it was a wise choice for their family in the end. We were really disappointed and now we will need to look for another teacher for DK and Abigail. We'll see how that works out.

All in all, a great first day. Now, if I can just get enough energy to teach the rest of the week! Will hopefully post classroom pictures soon! Keep your eyes open for that on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment