Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, June 24, 2013

People Pleaser or Peace Maker?

I am a people pleaser.

It's something I have done my whole life...seek people's approval.  Approval for just about everything. 

I am a peace maker. 

I hate when there is relational conflict and frustration and will work to try and figure it all out.

And these two things together can be a really bad combination.

Because oftentimes, to keep the peace, I would rather not confront an issue.  I'd rather skim over the issues and avoid the tough things that need to be said simply because it is hard and uncomfortable and embarrassing and frustrating and hard.  (Yes, I know that I said hard twice...because it is that hard sometimes).

I feel the need in myself to lean back.  To allow things to go on so that drama won't prevail.

Unfortunately, sometimes that neglect of facing things head-on leads to more problems...bigger problems...down the road.

So, I force myself...yes, sometimes, I literally have to talk myself into confronting an issue.

And I realized this week that this is not just something that I deal with, but something that...well...pretty much our whole Bible Study also faces. 

Our volunteer, Challie, pointed out Galatians 1:10 to us this week when this concept came up.  It says:

"10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."

So, challenging, but so true.

I have felt like, since moving to Ghana, God has continually challenged me on these very concepts.  What do I desire?  To please God or to please man?  Do I desire to keep the peace simply because I don't want to confront an issue or do I address it head on and face the consequences?

God, continue to mold and change me to be a peace-maker who isn't satisfied with pleasing others, but desires the peace of your character to invade the places that are insecure and find security in pleasing You alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment