Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Interrupted, Post 4

"Ignorant interventions are absolutely a contributing factor to cycles of oppression....We don't get to opt out of living on mission because we may not be appreciated. We're not allowed to neglect the oppressed because we have reservations about their discernment. We cannot deny love because it might be disposed or misunderstood. We can't withhold social relief because were not convinced it will be perfectly managed. We can't project our advantaged perspective onto struggling people and expect results only available to the privileged. Must we be wise? Absolutely. But doing nothing is an blatant sin of ommission. Turning a blind eye to the bottom on the grounds of 'unworthiness' is the antithesis to Jesus' entire mission. How dare we? Most of us know nothing, nothing of the struggles of the poor. We erroneously think ourselves superior, and it is a wonder God would use us at all to minister to His beloved." Interrupted, Jen Hatmaker

It's true that once you see the face of the poor, you can't close your eyes to it any more. But, finding the best way to help, the kind of help that doesn't hurt, that's the hard part. It requires relationship. It requires investment, true and lasting partnership into the lives of the needy. It requires you to get to the root of all issues, to move past the deceit, to the true heart. That's hard. And it's gritty. And it's disappointing at times.

But, it is our call.

It is our responsibility.

It is our privilege.

Sometimes, I find this work incredibly challenging. Sometimes, I feel taken advantage of. And I feel like I have to fight on behalf of these families, fight for the vision we see as possible for these people, because sometimes, they would rather just live in the place where they receive a handout without any of the responsibility attached. And sometimes, that makes me feel jaded and frustrated and angry.

But, the truth of the matter is, I don't understand what it is like to be poor. I may not have a lot of money, but I am so rich in so many ways. I have never wondered where my next meal would come from or fear the death of a child because I couldn't afford medicine. I have always, always had enough.

So, all I can do is walk in wonder that God would use me at all to minister to His beloved.


No comments:

Post a Comment