Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Perspective

Life is full of differing perspectives.

Each person lives life from their own perspective.

It's been something that I've been learning about a lot lately.  My perspective is not THE perspective.

For some time, I have allowed my perspective to dictate my emotions.  Maybe someone has a bad day or isn't feeling well.  One misplaced word in my direction, and my mind starts whirring.  "What did I do wrong?"  "Why are they angry with me?"  And suddenly self-pity and doubt sets in.  My mind, my perspective, has completely destroyed our relationship.

Oh, the power of the mind.  The power of perspective.

I have been challenged recently by Sarah Young's words in Jesus Calling.

She says:

"Welcome problems as perspective-lifters.  My children tend to sleepwalk through their days until they bump into an obstacle that stymies them.  If you encounter a problem with no immediate solution, your response to that situation will take you either up or down.  You can lash out at the difficulty, resenting it and feeling sorry for yourself.  This will take you down into a pit of self-pity.  Alternately, the problem can be a ladder, enabling you to climb up and see your life from My perspective.  Viewed from above, the obstacle that frustrated you is only a light and momentary trouble.  Once your perspective has been heightened, you can look away from the problem altogether.  Turn toward Me, and see the Light of My Presence shining upon you."
--Jesus Calling, p. 121

Such good truth. 

So, I began to hold my perspective to the truth.

I was surprised with what I found out. 

My perspective, for months, has been defining my experiences and my perspective was completely wrong.  When I held it to the light of His Presence, I saw instead only love, care, and provision.

So, when I saw Sarah Young's May 3rd writing, I was completely challenged and convicted.

"You cannot serve two masters.  If I am truly your Master, you will desire to please Me above all others.  If pleasing people is your goal, you will be enslaved to them.  People can be harsh taskmasters when you give them this power over you.
If I am the Master of your life, I will also be your First Love.  Your serving Me is rooted and grounded in My vast, unconditional Love for you.  The lower you bow down before Me, the higher I lift you up into intimate relationship with Me.  The joy of living in My Presence outshines all other pleasures.  I want you to reflect My joyous Light by living in increasing intimacy with Me."
--Jesus Calling, p. 130

My perspective has been based on people-pleasing rather than pleasing God.  I even sense it in myself today, the anxiety that comes when something doesn't go the way you planned and it effects other people. 

I am longing for the joyous light to be lived out in me, not the anxiety that comes with people pleasing or a perspective based on "what might be happening".

God, may your presence change my perspective.  May your opinion be the only one that I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment