Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Driving in Ghana

I am now a legal driver in Ghana!

This past week, I took a day off of school to go and get my driver's license.  It's so exciting to me to hold that paper in my hand and know that the next time I get pulled over, they can't "arrest me" based on driving with my California license.

Last year, around this time, John and Stacy were back in the States and I was the chief driver around the house.

I was constantly up and about getting things done and taking people places to get things done.

One of these trips, I got pulled over by the police, who proceeded to keep me for almost 30 minutes at the side of the road.  They declared that since I was driving with my California driver's license, he was going to have to arrest my car.  In all reality, he wanted a little bribe, but I refused.  Eventually, he let us go with a promise that I wouldn't drive again.

Well, the next day, I had an emergency situation with a staff member and we were off again.  I passed by the same police office along the side of the road and knew that if he saw me driving again, I would be in more trouble.  So, instead of coming back the usual way, I made a huge loop through Dodowa to avoid the police.

I felt funny "running from the cops", but sometimes...well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

But, this year, it's a different story. 

This year, we know the police pretty well along the roadside.  We rarely have problems with getting pulled over (not quite the same story with our dear friends, the Beebe's, who get pulled over almost every time they go out).  And now, I have my license.

Here's to driving....legally at least...in Ghana!!

No comments:

Post a Comment