Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Contemplating Home

Yesterday's jet lag didn't hit me at all.  I survived all day.  No nap.  Not even feeling all that tired.

This last night was a different story.

Besides waking myself up with this awful cough, I woke up bright and early at 5:00 am and just tossed and turned, hoping I would fall back asleep, but never happening.

And so, this morning, I am sitting here in the dark as I type this post, reflecting on the days to come.

It's a little surreal to go from my life in Ghana to my life here in the States.

In so many ways, life feels really normal here.  Dr's appointments, preparing sandwhiches for lunch, chatting with family over breakfast, emailing at a normal speed.  It feels really normal.

And yet my mind (and my heart) is always in two places at once. 

My friend, Robin Beebe, said last week that her family is now discovering that home is more like an "idea" rather than a place.

It's so true.

There have been so many places this year that I have traveled, seen so many different things and met so many people.  When I am in Ghana, I am constantly trying to keep up with my friends and family here.

The longer that I am away from the States, the more I begin to see that "home is an idea" thing as closer to the truth.

Home is in the heart of friendship--that beautiful bond that brings people together across the miles.  Home is in the comfort of family.  Home is in the hugs of little ones...the hands that reach out to hold yours...the laughter of pure joy.

I love that Ruth, in the Bible, says, "Where you go, I go."  She understood that home wasn't a place.  It was that idea that where the Spirit of the Lord is, that is home.  And sometimes you have to leave everything you know to understand that idea of "home".

And I love that.

So, these next two months, while I'm traveling through 4 different states and will be with hundreds of friends and family members that I love...I will always be home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment