Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Living Life during the Rainy Season

I feel like I've only experienced just a small picture of what the rainy season here in Ghana is like...until today.

The sky has been cloudy for a couple of days and the heat hasn't been too oppressive, so I have been expecting the rains to come again, but man, did they come today!

This morning, we made it to school before the rain started. First, just a little downfall, and then a steady flow, and before long, it was pouring down. Off an on, all through the day, it was just like this. Now, normally, the rain soothes me and it's a great time to just pull out a book and read. But, lately, when it rains, my biggest concern is how long it is going to take me to get back home.

I don't live too far from the school, but the steady rain creates major chaos on our roads! Clay is primarily our topsoil, so when it rains, the roads turn to...well, the only thing I can compare it to is black ice--minus the cold factor. It's a slimy mess where you have to take off your shoes and slip and slide your way back to the house. And arriving home without mud completely caking your feet and possibly your backside it somewhat of a miracle.

Today, just as we were ready to leave the school, the rain really began to fall. So much so that I had to take off my glasses to "see". I swished my way to the house and was seriously dripping as I stepped into the house. They even sent Aaron our with an umbrella, but it wasn't in enough time. I was soaked! I am wondering, even now, how John and Stacy are going to be able to make it back in their 4 wheel drive (yes, the roads are like a river) and even more how Daddy Joe is going to make it back from the work site today. Whew! It's some crazy business out there today!

It has been quite a season of life these past few weeks. I've had interview almost everyday (and interviews in this weather is never easy!!). Sometimes, the interviewee will come into the office for our interview, only to have to move around the office as the ceiling leaks in various places and they kept getting dripped on. Not very professional on our part, but what can you do!

In any case, we did find people to fill most our positions--despite the rain, bad roads, and leaky roof! We just have one more position to fill, but that's not too bad for two weeks worth of interviews!

This week has been a little up and down for me...battling another week of exhaustion which just led to a little bit of a grumpy teacher in class and a tired auntie at home...and then a bit of a sick Autumn...runny stomach is no fun! Still getting that taken care of, but hoping that 5 day weekend will help me get a little bit more rest. Ready to start that NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment