Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, June 13, 2011

Going home...

My family is leaving tomorrow and it's crazy to think that they've been here for two weeks. Time has flown by in a blur of busyness, children's activities, and life here at City of Refuge. I think they had a fun time, though the heat sometimes bothered them and the kids tended to be a little overwhelming to Chris and Bri. But, they got a taste for the "good life" and I hope that God really moved something in them!

These past couple of weeks have been really good for me too. I think it has made me look at myself in a new light. Sometimes I feel bad because I feel so worn down and can be really withdrawn at times, but I think that I'm realizing now that my family has seen life here, that that is just totally normal. If I didn't feel worn out, that would be a surprise. I think, ultimately, I just was able to feel like it was OK to feel worn out...it's ok to need a break...it's ok to ask for help...I'm ok. And when I think about Edwin, I especially feel like I was really encouraged in my relationship with him. So often I can feel really worn out with him, but I felt really encouraged that it's ok to feel worn out with him at times and to ask others to help with him and because of that, it made me feel closer to him. So, I think I was able to handle more of Edwin simply because I was getting the help that I needed with him.

My mom is going to have a hard time leaving tomorrow. She has just so enjoyed life here these past couple of weeks. She's become really attached to a lot of the kids, especially the boys. She's decided she'll be coming back here next summer...no matter what! These kids are as much a part of her life now as they are mine because she knows their stories, she's seen their faces, she's lived life with them. It's been a rich time!

I'll miss my family when they go, but it is a relief to know that I'll be home in a little over a month! Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment