My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More


Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lack of Internet...but we're still having fun!

We have had some major internet problems this week, but I wanted to give everyone a short update on our family adventures this past week while the internet is (somewhat) working!

Tuesday, June 7: I had to teach and the fam wanted to run some errands, so they all headed out with John and Stacy while I spent the day at the school. When they returned, they were a little disappointed that they weren't able to get to as many places as they had wanted, but such is life in Ghana. Things never really happen as you have planned. In any case, we enjoyed a nice evening together before hitting the hay!

Wednesday, June 8: John went and picked up some yeast and flour for a fun little treat for us and I had the kids take their midterm exams. After school, my mom and I (and Lucy and the rest of the kitchen crew) helped us make pizza which we shared out among the kids and the staff. It was yummy! My mom had brought mozzerella, cheddar, and PEPPERONI with her. So good! Then, we set up to play a game with all the kids. After the game, we sang some fun songs and my mom taught a lesson (just like at a Wednesday night youth group). Afterwards, we taught the kids about smore's and we went out and roasted marshmallows and made smores. They were certainly a hit and it was such a fun night! The staff and all the kids are just loving my family! My mom has been referred to by most of the kids as Grandma and Chris has already received several marraige proposals. It's been so fun!

Thursday, June 9: We had a midterm holiday, so a group of us (from Finding Refuge and Cornell) made our way to Cape Coast to enjoy some time at Kakum and Elmina Slave Castle. It was a great day and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. The drive back was a little tedious as we were stuck in traffic for most of it, but we enjoyed ourselves. Most of the van ended up singing (very badly, I might add) different songs throughout the ride home. That was an adventure all in itself!

Friday, June 10: We stuck around at home mostly. It was fun to play with the kids and go for short walks and just enjoy home life. It was a fun day! In the afternoon, I read to the kids from the Chronicles of Narnia, Voyage of the Dawn Treader. My mom and I took turns reading until we finished the story. She had brought the movie with her and the kids were begging to watch it for movie night. We made it through the last six chapters and the movie, though a little disppointing--it just wasn't as good as the book or the other movies--still made for a fun night!

Saturday, June 11: We stuck around at home again. We wanted to take the kids for a walk to the site, but when John and Stacy arrived home, they were able to take them out there to play a little bball. It was a pretty easy going day. I felt very Ghanaian as I put Edwin in a sling (on my back) because he was being extremely fussy, and cut the banku into balls for all the kids. More and more, I'm seeing Ghana becoming part of me...

Sunday, June 12: This morning we had church here at the house and then we all left to go pick up Heather and Laura from the airport. Our other guests (Jeremy and Kristin and their family) had missed their flight, so John and Stacy will head back to the airport tomorrow. We picked them up and then headed to the tourist market. The people there were a little pushy today--perhaps because they don't get much business on Sunday or perhaps because of the rain. In any case, Chris, Bri, and my mom were able to get quite a few fun things and got to barter their way into some nice prices! Afterwards, we headed to the mall for some food. Then home for time with the kiddos and dinner. Edwin was really sick this morning, so I was so glad to see that he was feeling so much better tonight when we got home--besides the fact that he was really fussy. Still haven't figured out how to handle all of that.

Well, time to go to bed, but just wanted to update everyone on the family fun here in Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment