Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Veggie Delight

Since I've come to Ghana, I have sorely missed vegetables in my diet. Here, the only vegetables that we get are usually tomatoes and onions that have been cooked into our foods. I've been known to mention my longing for broccoli (I know, Blabe, I know! I really do want a bowl full of veggies!).

Well, yesterday, I got a vegetable surprise! The stew that we ate with our yam at lunch was made from the leaves of the coco yam. It was cooked, so it wasn't a raw veggie, but it tasted a bit like spinach. Yum!

Then, later today, John and Stacy and I headed to a dinner reception for NYU's New York Campus provost. Since we do volunteer work with NYU, they had invited us to come. On the way over, we stopped at a vegetable market to see if we could find some things that we'll need for our Thanksgiving dinner. While we waited to list out all the items we would need, we bought some carrots and chomped on those. I hadn't had raw carrots in a long time and they were delicious!

At the NYU dinner, the table featured some rice, fish or chicken, and bowls full of different vegetable salads. I tried almost everyone!

Yesterday, I was in vegetable paradise! We'll see how it effects my body though, going months without any fresh veggies to one day only eating veggies. . .hmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment