Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Friday, November 26, 2010

Waking Up with Edwin

As you know, my boy Edwin has come to stay with me in my room. The first couple of nights were pretty rough. Last Saturday night, his first night with me, he had a terrible time sleeping. He went down ok, but then he woke up in the middle of the night and I was up with him for almost 4 hours. He was frightened by the storm, my strange room, and I think he was a little hungry too. A couple nights later, he got up in the middle of the night and I think he thought it was time to play! He came to my bed, and me, tired and not thinking, picked him up and put him on my bed. He was SOAKED. And I looked at the time. . .only 1:30 am. I wouldn't be able to wait til morning. It was time for a diaper change. So, I changed the diaper and laid him back down, but NO! He still thought it was time to play. He was giggling and laughing and everytime I tried to go back to bed, he would come over and laugh at the edge of my bed. That boy! Finally, I laid down next to him on his bed and rubbed his back and he finally went to sleep.

After those first few nights, he has been sleeping like a dream. A few mornings, I woke up before him and was able to get some things done before he woke up. And then the past couple of mornings, I woke up and he was already awake. He didn't come to my bed or anything. He was just laying on his bed, staring up at me waiting for me to wake up. It's so cute! And then, as soon as I say good morning, he just smiles at me.

Each morning, we've had a little wake up routine started. As soon as he (or I) wakes up, we smile and chat a bit (me doing the talking and him doing the smiling, since he hasn't said much yet). Then, he comes over to my bed. I check his diaper to see if anything is leaking (the trouble with cloth diapers). If he's leak-free, he comes and hangs in my lap for a little bit. We sing some songs, tickle his toes, and just have a little cuddle time. After that, it's off to the bath. After he's clean and smelling good, then we get him dressed and it's out the door. Usually, all I have to say to him is "Go eat" and he's running out the door for food. He LOVES to eat!

Even though it takes up a little bit of my morning time, I love my waking up with Edwin. That cute little face is enough to make anyone happy to wake up in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment