Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th

The 4th of July is always a little different here. 

I mean, first of all, I'm not in America...so it is a little weird that I'm celebrating a country's independence when I'm not living there.

But, you know what I miss the most about 4th of July?  The food.

I love food.

I love summer food even more.

BBQ.

fresh fruit.

corn on the cob roasted on the grill.

zucchini and yellow squash.

fresh tomatoes.

strawberries and blueberries and cherries.

the colors.

the sights.

the sounds.

the family.

But, celebrating here is joyful too.  Today, we ate hamburgers and hot dogs and baked beans and apple pie.  We watched a video of fireworks and cheered and chanted.  Some of the volunteers sang the national anthem.  And I reflected...

Freedom.

It means something different to me now.

Because I get to see it in the eyes of my kids who knew captivity before.

I get to see what freedom actually brings to a life.

It brings hope.

It brings love.

It brings opportunity.

It brings change.

It brings all of God's good gifts.

And so, this 4th...I hope you relish the sights and sounds and tastes of a typical American 4th of July.

And I hope you reflect on what freedom truly means...

HOPE.

Happy 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment