Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Busyness Brings You Back

A couple of weeks ago, we had groups from Semester at Sea come through to volunteer with us.  Three different groups of over 30 students, staff, and life-long learners in each group, came to join us here at City of Refuge.  A few even came to spend a few nights with us and really see the day in and day out of life here at CORM.

It was incredibly busy with all these "obrunis" coming through.  Projects had to be created.  We had to set up an experience for them that helped us (a little), but gave them a good picture of what we do here at City of Refuge.

Sometimes, the day in and day out of life here...well, it can be tedious and hard and frustrating.  Sometimes staff leave.  Sometimes, students make choices you wish they hadn't made.  You see families struggling.  You see poverty that you may never have experienced before.  And all these things...well, they add up.  And sometimes you forget.

You forget the miracles that have brought us here!

Our three days with Semester at Sea were incredibly busy, but for me, they brought me back to my purpose here.  Sometimes, I just get tied down with the to-do's and I forget the passion.

When we stand in front of groups of people and explain how we got here...that is powerful!

John and Stacy--not qualified in any way, but God gave them the vision and the passion and the drive.  And look at how he has equipped and accomplished through their willing hearts.  That is powerful!

I am not trained as an administrator--I don't even have my masters degree...all I have is the experience of teaching and the knowledge that perhaps God can do more through me as a leader than as a teacher in one class.  That is powerful!

And when I think about when we started--moving here in July 2010 to our house in Tema.  Moving to Doryumu, doubtful of how I would make it through the year in a house with over 40 people.  Moving here to our Children's Village without electricity, but through EVERY BIT OF IT...having faith that God would provide for all of our needs.  And he did!

I was unsure how things would work out when we moved to downtown Doryumu, but God taught me the value of patience and unconditional love when I cared for Edwin through many sleepless nights.  And God brought us together as a family in that one house, struggling at times, but learning about each other and with each other.

I was unsure about moving to the Children's Village without electricity, but we managed.  We went through the hottest part of the year without electricity.  We still managed to get out emails, to keep our building projects going, and in the end, God brought in electricity without us even working on it at all.  The same was true with bringing water out here to the land as well.

And now, I look around and I see our school building, almost fully completed.  I see two fully-operational children's homes and a third being built.  I see guest facilities, a farm operating, and more building on-going.  This place isn't just growing...it's blowing up.  And honestly, there is not a single reason that I can give as to why we have been blessed in this way except to say, when you are faithful with a little, you are trusted with more.

So, even though the busyness of Semester at Sea was incredibly crazy, it was also so, so, so sweet.

I got to tell the story of God's faithful plan for this place over and over and over.  And I'm in awe of how far we have come.

God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment