My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More


Friday, December 9, 2011

The One Week Countdown

Today is Friday, December 9, and that means that I am ONE WEEK AWAY from heading back to the States for a little R and R and a little facetime with all my besties!! So looking forward to it! My time in the States is usually filled with quite a bit of CORM business, but it also has these deliciously wonderful moments of awesomeness with friends and family and those are the moments that I hold tight to when I'm here and missing a little flavor of home.

In any case, even though this day begins the one week countdown, I was INCREDIBLY busy today! Today was our Christmas program and it was a busy day from the time it started until...well, until about an hour ago!

Nosa, Paul, and I left the house early to go into Doryumu to find a canopy to set up on the BB court for the program. We also had to pick up chairs for the program, so two trips into Doryumu and back and it was 9 am and I had to get a bit of work done. I wrote all of Rosemary's exams and did a few other things to prepare for the day and for next week and before I knew it, I looked at my clock and it was past 12. So, I headed to the house to make my lunch (Fridays are banku at school, which isn't my fave, so I usually make my own something or other) and then, it was back to finish up a little bit more work before the program started. Once it hit 1:00, I was outside (as that was the starting time for our program...but like all of our programs...we always start late...TIA). I got the kids all set up and ready to start before parents began showing up and then Mr. Francis led the program.

It wasn't very organized, unfortunately. Those who up next were never ready on time and were always talking during the on-stage student's performances. It was kind of a frustrating end to all of our hard work these past few weeks because the performances just couldn't be heard over all the voices. Next time, we'll have to figure out something different. This one just didn't work out as we had planned. But, in any case, at the end of the program, we were able to give out awards to the students and provided them with a small gift, courtesy of Evangelist Sandra Riley. They were all so happy and it was such a great way to end the program.

After the program, I was off again...picking up Lucy and Portia from the market, filling up the gas tank, buying tomatoes, dropping off the canopy and chairs, taking our food to the freezer over at our old staff house, and finally home again.

It's been an exhaustingly looooooong day, so I'm going to hit the hay.

And the countdown to HOME begins...6 more days!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment