Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, December 12, 2011

Not feeling too red hot...but getting the job done

I had a boil that popped up on my neck yesterday. It's this massive thing on the right hand side of my neck that almost looks like a goiter. I kinda made fun of myself for it yesterday. I mean, it was a bit sore, but mostly just gross looking.

Today, there's no making fun of this massive thing. It kept me up occasionally throughout the night, whenever I rolled onto it (that and this one mosquito that I couldn't find that kept buzzing around my face) and so I woke up a little tired.

Early this morning, I got a phone call that our staff member, Millicent, was preparing to go to her home town (she's the one we took to the hospital on Saturday), so I needed to get some things ready for the day and get ready to take her someplace so she could take a car to her hometown. When I finally picked her up (around 7:30 this morning), my head had started hurting and I was wondering how I was going to make it through the day without heading back to my bed!

Millicent and I set out and I dropped her in Alfienya (a nearby village) to take a car. On the way there, the police were out again. I knew that if I traveled back that way, I would get pulled over. I saw the same policeman that pulled me over last time still out there this morning. So, I decided to make a quick trip to the pharmacy, and then I was going to attempt to find another way back to the school.

I drove over to our pharmacy that we always visit and on the way, wouldn't you know it, there were more cops on the road! I was praying that God would make me invisible (which is difficult to do since you don't see many white women driving big cars like this here in Ghana!), but I didn't get pulled over. I got my antibiotic and made it back through into Alfienya and then took this back road to Dodowa to avoid the cops on the way back to the school. It was very round-about and added an extra thirty minutes or so to my trip, but I kind of felt proud of myself for being able to figure out a way to get around those cops and to make it home safely. I was by myself and who knows what could have happened if I had been pulled over!

In any case, I made it home, singing Christmas carols (since they don't really play them on the radio here and I want to be in the Christmas spirit!) the whole way home.

Once back at the school, it was time to get down to work. I was hoping for a little down time today so I could get home and rest, but no such luck. It was the first day of finals and so I was busy passing out exams, getting together some paperwork for the end of the term, and soon, the kids had left the school and I was still working, working, working! Crazy how fast time goes when you're busy like that!

In any case, I took Mr. Francis and the staff girls into town and then headed back home and finally got a chance to lay down. I called my mom on the road and she said that the headache and exhaustion isn't really a side-effect of the medication, but means the infection from this boil has gone systemic. She told me that if I don't get better by tomorrow, I might need to go to the hospital to get an IV antibiotic put in. I hope that I can just kick it with this antibiotic that I'm on, some extra sleep, and some hot compresses.

Praying that I'll feel better tomorrow. This is not the week to be feeling sick for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for quick and complete healing! Take good care of yourself! I will be thinking of you with a prayer each time I do! Here's to immediate relief! Valerie in Grand Junction

    ReplyDelete