Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hanging with a lot of parents...

So, PTA's here in Ghana are like a really big deal. In fact, we charge parents when they don't attend...it's that bit of a deal!

Nene (Chief) Opata sit in the middle of all the parents at today's PTO meeting!




And today was our first meeting. We changed our PTA to a PTO (Parent/Teacher/Organization) which keeps it localized with our school instead of having to give money to a district wide or region fund. For a first meeting, it was pretty successful. Out of the approximately 80 parents that we have at our school, about 60 showed up. Not too bad! We talked about so many things, but the big thing was electing members for our executive board. We had to elect a certain number of members and it was fun to be a part of this whole experience. A little intimidating as we look toward the future and find ways to partner with the PTO board members, but I think it will be good in the long run. This job just keeps getting more and more complicated! Sometimes I wonder to myself what I have gotten myself into. Then I have to tell myself that this is God's thing anyway. He'll do with it what he wants! So, I'll keep trucking away and see what comes of all these new relationships with the 80 or so parents that have children in our school.

Francis led the meeting today and did a wonderful job! He's so energetic and the parents love him!

Front row center...I had to speak with all the parents about the vision for the school and our plans for the future as well as clarify some of the issues that were brought up with our agenda. Life certainly is different here! I don't think I ever expected that I would be leading a PTO in Ghana...

No comments:

Post a Comment