Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, September 5, 2011

Cleaning up is a dirty business!

I meant to post this post on Tuesday, September 6, but our internet went out...so here it is!

Today, after meeting with the teachers this morning, the kids, the teachers, and I went out to the school for some clean-up time. Let me tell you, it was one of the dirtiest days that I have spent in Ghana...and believe me, I have seen my fair share of the African soil on my skin!

We pulled on gloves, which I eventually took off (talk about sweaty hands!), and we cleaned up around the school, picking up six months worth of trash that our builders had left behind. Some of the kids and teachers spent time sweeping out the classrooms. When Grace finished two full rooms, her body was so covered in cement dust, she looked positively gray! And my feet, from walking too and fro, through burnt patches of grass, and through the red soil that out there...let's just say that I looked almost Africa (well, my feet at least!).

The teachers worked so hard! They really showed that they were dedicated to the vision of the school! It was encouraging to work as a team for the first time this year!

The bathtub that night was definitely filled with a layer of grime, but I was pretty impressed with all that we accomplished and I'm excited about what is to come.

Tomorrow is our first day of school...I can't believe it's finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment