Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Finally...relief

Today, I woke up and for the first time in 4 days, I could swallow without wincing. I still have a little bit of throat pain, but for the most part, I am back to normal. I stayed home again today simply because my body is still a bit weak with body aches, but I rested a bit and hopefully that will be completely gone by tomorrow. I'm going to attempt returning to school tomorrow.

I am seriously so THANKFUL for Anna Gailey, our NYU volunteer who decided to stay with us for a week after her program ended and before she was to leave Ghana. She was able to take my class and it has been such a relief for me.

I started to get a bit of work done this morning, but after working for awhile, I took John's advice to lay down and REST. So, I read a bit today, napped, ate my first full meal in 4 days. It's been a great day! But, I think I'll be ready to see the light of day.

Last week, I called to set up a meeting time with Katty's class of kindergarteners and today was the scheduled day. Yesterday I was worried because my throat was still really bothering me, but I was able to "meet" with them today via skype and my telephone. It was so fun to see all of her kids, to show them some pictures, and get to answer their questions. And it was fun to see her in action. I used to go and visit her class occasionally when I lived in SoCal, so I miss seeing her teaching. She is such a GREAT teacher!

Well, the week of being sick has put me behind on my list of a million things that I have to get done, but sometimes I wonder if I just put too many things on my plate and get run down because of that. One day, I'll be able to look back at this time and wonder at how all of these hats were able to get filled by John, Stacy, Nosa, and I. It is a wonder at times! But, a joyful wonder. I love what I'm doing here and it doesn't feel like a burden...which is probably why I don't recognize when my body is telling me to SLOW down.

I'm also praying for some way to figure out how to get some exercise in my day to day life. I think that is part of my sickness issue too. But, how do I exercise in this heat? I need to get it figured out. My body still has the same issues it has when I left the States in hopes that it wouldn't be an issue here...in AFRICA. But, I have to figure out a way to get moving otherwise it will always be this way.

In other random news, we were able to purchase a four wheel drive vehicle here! Thanks so a GENEROUS AND AMAZING family, John, Stacy, and Nosa were able to pick up our new silver 2001 Toyota Sequoia yesterday. It is a beauty and you should have heard the kids scream when John pulled up to the house. And after the rains last night, John took the new 4x4 out for a spin and came back grinning from ear to ear...no sliding all over the roads.

Also, a big praise is that a little over a week ago, we received word that the local quarry was going to donate 300 TRUCK LOADS of waste rock for the development of our road out at the site. We have to pay for the trucks (which is very expensive and we are praying for funding to come in for that), but the roads will be covered. That's awesome!

So, this blog was a totally random blog filled with random information, but I thought you might enjoy a random update on the life I lead here.

1 comment:

  1. So thankful you are on the up hill!! Will continue to pray for healing and REST :) Don't you love how He slows us down sometimes. Praying for a renewed strength and wisdom on when to know your limits. :) Can't wait to meet you in a little over 3 weeks :) Drink lots of water with all this (sorry thats the nurse in me)

    ReplyDelete