Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Day in the Sun

Today, our visitors from Finding Refuge continued the process of painting the basketball court. I went out shortly after lunch to see the progress and the court looks great! It's so fun to see what they have done. It's really quite lovely and the kids are just going to LOVE playing! In fact, we brought a few of the kids out to play in the afternoon and they had a blast. You should have seen Valentina bouncing the ball. Oh, I thought I was going to cry it was so funny! She had this funny little leap dribble. And Grace's leg over the basketball approach was hilarious. She threw her leg up in the air over the ball. Oh, man! I just laughed and laughed. Most of them have only seen basketball from High School Musical and much prefer soccer. Aaron, the tallest of the bunch, was definitely learning the form required for basketball and was having some great success. Though he enjoys soccer, I think he's really going to enjoy basketball. I'm excited for our summer camp when they will teach the kids the skills of basketball. That will be great!

The sun took it out of me though. I don't think my stamina has returned quite all the way yet from the malaria. I was exhausted and had to come lay down for a little bit when I returned home. I came out to play with the kids after awhile and ended up having a little Twi lesson with Evelyn. I'm afraid that since I didn't write anything down though, I don't know that I'll remember it. I'm kinda a visual learner instead of a verbal learner. It was fun to chat with the volunteers over dinner and hear about what is going on in their lives and chat a bit about what to expect on the lake. I think some of them are going to have a harder time than others, but I think they're all going to learn a lot. I love the debriefing part of the trip when we get to answer questions and chat about the value of community development along with child rescues. I just love being a part of this organization. And I'm looking forward to their return when we can chat about what's ahead...how they can set up projects...fundraising ideas and frameworks,etc.

In other news, I figured I needed to start exercising again. It's been hard to figure out how to do that here as it's so hot, but I'm going to try going to bed earlier, like asleep by 9:30 or so, and then getting up at 5 so I can go exercise. We'll see if I can do that. I just know I've got to get my weight under control and it's just not happening by itself, and why would it?, so I have to get this started.

In any case, things are going well here. I'm a little nervous about everyone being gone the next couple of days. Last time that happened, it was a little overwhelming, but we'll see how it goes this time. Alright, off to bed so I can be up early tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment