Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Finally...a post

So, Katie left on Saturday, and since then, I have been trying to post, but our internet has been a little hit and miss lately. More miss than hit it seems!

This week has been filled with my "To Do" list. It's a constant, flowing list that never seems to completely get finished. Most of the time, I'll get frustrated with the sloppyness of it all and just tear it out and start over again, only to start the process all over again!

In any case, this week, I've been trying to accomplish some of the things that I've had on my to-do list for the past few months, along with teaching each morning for Uncle Mark's class. I finished putting together the information we needed for our Faith Roots Website, so hopefully that will be put together soon (as long as I can forward our documents on to the guys who is doing it all!). I was able to finish up a couple of things for the summer camp program. I looked into administrative software for our school and was able to get some of it donated to us (if we were able to find funding for training and updates--which is crazily out of our budget). A couple of friends volunteered time and money to make copies of phonics curriculum and teachers handbooks for me. I started working on a fundraising framework, but put that on hold until Finding Refuge arrives. I started to look up teacher recruiting websites, but the internet has proven to be a bit of a challenge with that one! So much work to do, so little time! I need to spend a little bit of time planning for our next term and making sure that I can get the kids through everything they need to know for the year. Whew!

I've had a few interesting "African" experiences this week that I thought you might enjoy:

1) We had a storm a couple of nights ago and with the way that my bed is situated in my room, in between the two windows, I was getting rained on pretty heavily before I woke up and closed the windows. The storm lasted all night, heavy rains and winds, before it finally stopped raining mid-morning. Edwin didn't wake up all night...surprise, surprise!

2) The boils are back and Edwin had a few really bad ones lately. After a month and a half of very little middle of the night wake up calls, Edwin was up for two nights in a row. Poor little guy! He's on an anti-biotic and back to sleeping through the night.

3) Last night, Stacy and I were watching movies and working on jewelery and we had this crazy BUGGY experience! These bugs started flying in my windows, even though they were closed (little creepers coming in through the holes or between the windows or something). They were these bugs with huge wings and when you killed them, their wings fell off, but their bodies still stayed alive and were like little worms crawling around the floor. Stacy and I went crazy killing them for about 15 minutes. We had this huge pile of bugs and finally I ran to the kitchen to get raid and blasted my windows. They were so gross! I definitely need to sweep my room today after that disgusting thing! I have bug parts all over my floor. Sick! But, we did come up with a couple of designs that are worth remaking and selling. We'll see what happens!

Today and tomorrow will be school prep days and the days ahead of me are going to be busy, busy, busy as I have to prepare for the next school year as well as my time at home. I need to find a school administrator to help with some of the stuff that I'm not going to be able to get to while I'm gone.

Saturday, we'll be going to Providence's funeral. My first Ghana funeral...and such a sad one at that. Still hard to believe he's gone sometimes and that I won't hear his voice or see him walking Juanitta down the road. Life is strange sometimes.

I don't think I've even touched the busyness that is the month of MAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment