Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, May 16, 2011

Being sick

So, this is my third time with malaria here in Ghana. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go on some anti-malarial for awhile. It's just no fun! Sunday, I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but I doubled up on my vitamins that night and thought that with a good nights sleep, maybe I'll beat this thing!

Well, forget about the good night's sleep! I was up for 3-4 hours with Edwin during the night. He was WIDE AWAKE and just whimpering, whimpering, whimpering! With all the noise he was making, I took him out to the living room to sleep and we both laid down on the floor. We laid there for about an hour and I looked over to check and see if he was asleep--no such luck. So, I moved to the couch and he moved to the floor by himself and finally, after Atta, our security guard, came through the living room and told him to go to sleep, he finally closed his eyes and went to sleep. I took him to the room and about an hour later, he was up again. At that point, I really felt the body aches coming on and was so uncomfortable. So, needless to say, I didn't get hardly any sleep and when morning arrived, my throat was too sore to be able to teach, so I had to call the teachers to let them know I wouldn't be coming.

Its not too fun to be sick in Ghana. When I have a fever, I don't really even recognize it because it's so hot to just be laying in bed anyway. And with a sore throat, the spicy food that I usually adore, is very difficult to eat.

Anyway, needless to say, Ma and Dad took Edwin last night and while it was super helpful to not have to get up with him, I was awake on and off throughout the night because it just hurt to swallow anyway.

Praying I'll be well by tomorrow so that I can go back to school. The kids are anxious for me to be back! And I love getting a break, but not this way...

No comments:

Post a Comment