Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, September 23, 2013

Because it's been awhile...

It's been awhile since I've posted here.

I go through phases.

Sometimes, my thoughts stay locked up and it's hard to share what is going on.  Other times, they flow freely and this is a place of release.

So, I'll try to free some of these thoughts today.

Life is busy here.  Our school has almost closed registration.  Only a few more open spots in our preschool class for our 3 year olds.  All the other classes are closed out with 20-22 students per class.  Our co-op classes are moving full-swing every Tuesday and Thursday.  This means that on some days of the week, we have almost 250 people (including students and staff) on our campus.  It makes for a busy few days!

I have been pleased with the instruction our teachers have been giving students.  They are trying hard to apply what was taught them during our trainings in August.  It has been so exciting to see math manipulatives brought out, the students sitting in circles for morning meetings, open and honest sharing, and growth in some of our lowest students. 

I have felt encouraged by my conversations with staff in our one-on-ones.  Honest moments of reflection about what God is doing in their lives, the ways that He is leading them forward, and discussion of how they can be challenged. 

But, it seems like one word from someone can bring this all crashing down around my feet.  And I know it's not the truth.  And I know I shouldn't believe the lies that flood in to swallow me up, but they are there, and in the midst of them, sometimes, I forget the truth.

Friday, we had to go to Ghana Education Service to continue our process of registration.  It's a process I have absolutely hated being a part of.  For some reason, the officers at our office feel the need to constantly "put me in my place" and I get defensive and hurt and that just makes matters worse. 

But, that meeting, for some reason, put me into a bit of a tailspin.  I began thinking what I should have done differently with this school.  I began to doubt my reasons for being here.  I began to think that, perhaps, this lady from GES is right.  Perhaps I am doing an injustice to my families here.  Perhaps...perhaps...perhaps...

So, I hung out by myself for awhile this weekend.  Thinking and praying and processing.  I was, and still am, frustrated and hurt and angry.  But, I think that my frustration has switched targets...from GES to the enemy himself.

When I think back over the years of being here, I see places that I could have chosen a different road, but my own arrogance and "American-thinking" took over.  But, I see that grace of my God who cast the vision and will continue to grow it, despite my mistakes.  I see that grace of my God in the completion of our school building, in our school staff, in our students who work so hard to learn despite their lack. 

And when I reflected this weekend, I was brought back to that truth.  God is in control of this place.  He is the vision-maker.  He is the life-giver.  And he will be the one who ultimately grows this place and continues to build the dream and give it life.

And I have to trust that.  Despite what others say.  I have to trust the word of the Lord for this place over any other word.

Sometimes it is hard to walk out when faced with the opposition we seem to be facing, but I will take courage and know that God is FOR us...he is FOR me...He will see this place brought to fruition.

If you think about us here at City of Refuge and Faith Roots International Academy, be praying for the TRUTH to be revealed more and more, especially to those who are in opposition of what they see here. Pray especially for us this Tuesday, September 24th, as members of GES come and visit us at our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment