Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, November 1, 2012

One-On-One

I've been trying to practice some better communication skills with our volunteers by conducting one-on-ones with them each week.

Marilyn talked to me about this while she was here and I thought it would be extremely beneficial to helping solve our communication problems. 

But, I didn't realize that it would be such a time of encouragement to me as well!

For anyone who knows me well, or has read this blog much at all, you will know that I'm a major "Quality Time" person (love language).  Sometimes, it is quite difficult to find quality time with people here as it is so busy that the time that you have, you just want to relax and not do much at all.

But, the past two weeks, I have been making it a practice to do one-on-ones with our current volunteer staff, Kathy, Holly, and Emily.  It has been really fun for me.  I feel filled when I spend time chatting about life, struggles, encourage and make plans for the future.  To be honest, I feel more ME!  And that's just exciting.

So, while our one-on-one's started happening with the purpose of having better communication with volunteers, it really has served a greater purpose.  I think they are being heard and I am able to feel more at home in this role here. 

I'm starting one-on-one's with all my staff next week.  I think this is going to be a challenge to follow through with the time constraints, but I'm excited to see what happens, how we all grow from it and hopefully it will be an encouraging experience for all of the teachers...and for me as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment