Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Everything is a little slower these days. . .

And by the title. . .I mostly mean the internet! This week has actually been a very busy week, so I haven't had as much time to post anything, which has worked out since it takes me about three hours to do what I used to be able to do on the internet in 1/2 an hour.

At the end of last week, we recieved the newest member to our little tribe here, baby Princess. She is nine months old and has hydrosyphillus. She has been in the hospital her whole life, abandoned by her mother. She is absolutely adorable. She has a huge head and a tiny little body, but she's definitely hungry and we're trying to get her body caught up with the rest of her. She has this tiny little cry that she gives off occasionally, but it seems that for the most part, she's a pretty content little thing! Will try to post pics to facebook soon.

We had Semester at Sea come yesterday to visit us and it's so interesting the difference between the group last time that came and this group. They seemed like they enjoyed themselves, but were much more reserved than the last group that came through. Some of them had lots of questions and were really interested in what we are doing here. We had them come to the school in the morning and hang with the kids, playing futbol and playing games. Afterwards, we went home to help with food prep for the feeding program we were planning on doing later in the day. The kids played around with some of the SAS students, and they sang along to High School Musical (a new fave here) and danced and played. We took them out to the land to see the projects going up there. That was exciting to talk to people about what we have planned there and to see things coming up (even if some of them are just being built on the FAITH that monies will come through when we need to make the payments). We went to Tema New Town for our feed and while it was still chaotic, it was the LEAST chaotic feed yet. We discussed with one of the local pastors what it would look like to have him help us register the kids so that kids would get only one meal (some ended up getting quite a few). Then, we took the SAS kids back to our place for baths and debriefing. I think that it was a really positive experience for most of them. My thoughts about the others that weren't too engaged were simply. . .if you want to influence others and be influenced yourself. . .you have to be OPEN.

On another note, another reason I've been a little slow this week is because I have some crazy foot issue right now. I got some random toe fungus that started out as blisters on one toe and have just spread to all my other toes and once the blisters pop, they open up the skin to this raw raw skin underneath. It is SO PAINFUL! It's been a little challenging to walk these days and I have to keep my sandals on, so my foot has been stepped on by little feet more than my fair share lately. I'm praying that my new meds will clear it up soon. It's so painful!

Tomorrow, I'm going to Accra to work on my resident's permit. Pray for favor there! We're also going to be picking up the first member of the Australian team. She'll stay with me tomorrow night and then the next night, will join the rest of the team over at the guest house. The rest of the team comes in on my birthday on Saturday. We'll pick them up in Accra that morning and I think we're planning a celebration for that day! Wahoo!

Well, it's dinner time and I have to run. Will catch up as the internet allows!

1 comment:

  1. So does your "resident's permit" = citizenship? Or is it like a work visa?

    ReplyDelete