Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Friday, July 30, 2010

A little work, a little food, a little fun!

Day 4--Today was such a nice day! This morning, I got to sit down with Stacy while we talked about the school, plans for the upcoming week (and month), and just chatted about life. It felt good. . .and normal. Which was what I was praying for. . .a day where I would feel more at home in my own skin.

I definitely feel like I have a lot to do and need to start, next week, testing kids. I think this weekend, I'm going to have to get some of these tests ready to start doing with the kids. I'm trying to put them all on my computer so that we can keep the kids scores and things neatly organized and easy to update. Once I know their levels, I can make some better plans as to what's ahead. I have a fairly decent idea based on their report cards from the term that they just finished, but who knows. From what I've seen, the school that the kids attended hasn't been the most thourough experience! I thought California was bad with class sizes at 30 something. . .these kids didn't have a class under 50 students!

Besides working on prep for testing and our field days for next month, I spent some time playing with the kiddos. Stacy got out chalk and coloring sheets and the kids got right into that. It was so funny to see the little ones running around with chalk all over their hair and faces! DK, he's a funny kid! He wanted me to play soccer with him all day today. I played a bit, until I kicked the ball over the wall. Whoops! He keeps calling me "obruni" which means white person. I keep telling him my name "Miss Afi". We'll see what sticks! And little Edwin, man, he is ADORABLE! He is such a cuddle bug. Just walks right over and sits in your lap and cuddles up with you and giggles and giggles and giggles. He hasn't spoken yet, so we're still working on that, but he is so cute. Those eyelashes are to die for!

After a fun afternoon at the Freedom Center, John took Stacy and I out for an Italian dinner. Yummy! I'm loving the food here in Ghana, but it was fun to get food that was familiar as well. We chatted and laughed and talked about plans in August. We'll be going up to the Volta region in August to do a one day mission. We'll spend the day with a team from the US visiting people, ministering, doing some children's games, etc. At night, we'll have a worship gathering and see what the Spirit does! I'm excited! We also talked about our October move to a little village on the other side of Accra, Doryum (I think that's how it's spelled). It's going to be an exciting first year of the school (which we're starting in September) and will mostly be filled with finding out what the kids know, obtaining good curriculum, working in small groups for instruction, and working on the accredidation process. It was nice to just rest and have fun with John and Stacy. They are such a neat couple with such fire for the Lord and for their ministry here!

I'm posting more pics to facebook, as my blog seems to struggle with uploading anything of size. So, check out facebook for more pics from my day today!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Autumn! I'm so glad to hear that you're starting to feel a little more at ease. You are such a delight to be around and I know you're touching other peoples' lives without you even knowing it!

    Love ya! Serena

    ReplyDelete