Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Friday, July 13, 2012

Learning about Confrontation

So, I've been faced with some difficult confrontational situations in my near future and I have really been stressing about them. I hate confrontation. I mean HATE with a capital H!!

I think a big part of confrontation for me is that I'm always worried about how the other person will respond...how the relationship will be affected...people's opinion of me...

I guess I'm learning that I can be a people pleaser.

I have been asking for prayer about this issue as I've been working to change a few things here at school and realizing that some things have just been passed over so long that this new school year will really have to address many of the concerns that I am just now getting bold enough to discuss with teachers and staff members.

So, I have been reading through the book of Luke and the other day I reached this passage in Luke 20:

The Authority of Jesus Questioned

20 One day as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple courts and proclaiming the good news, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2 “Tell us by what authority you are doing these things,” they said. “Who gave you this authority?”

3 He replied, “I will also ask you a question. Tell me: 4 John’s baptism —was it from heaven, or of human origin?”

5 They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Why didn’t you believe him?’ 6 But if we say, ‘Of human origin,’ all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet.”

7 So they answered, “We don’t know where it was from.”

8 Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”



After I read that passage, I felt free. 


I realized that I don't have to be concerned with pleasing men when it comes to what is RIGHT in the Kingdom. The work that I'm doing here is for these children. If I don't defend them, stand for what is right and just...even in the little things...then who will? I am only accountable to God. He has given me the position of authority that I am in now and He is the one who leads and guides me forward as we move this school, and these children, forward.


So, I've been able to say things this past week that I hadn't been able to work up courage to discuss before. And I'm trusting that where my courage fails in the future, God will continue to remind me of the authority he has given me in entrusting these children into my hands will continue to spur me forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment