Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Overwhelmed

There is always this time of the year where I feel the weight of everything coming down on me and I feel like my mind can't hold all of the lists of things that I need to get done...the lists of things I want to accomplish...and so the lists of things explode all over 80 different random pieces of paper and my organizational skills disappear as the lists scatter around my bedroom and office, house, and computer. And then I have to find the list that I need to be able to cross off what I have accomplished. It's all a little overwhelming!

Today, Stacy and I talked about another exciting opportunity (though it might be another thing to add to my list of things to do) that I would like to try out. I have had an incredibly difficult time getting my teachers to understand the training that I've given them and having them implement it in their classrooms. What I'd like to do is some sandwich courses and perhaps some night courses that are more academic and practical for our teachers. They need to learn some basic child development and psychology as well as teacher training courses (management, early literacy, etc) and perhaps if my training took a more academic approach (which they take very seriously here) and they were able to have it work towards a teaching certificate (like a credential in the States--though they don't need a BA here first), then there might be a little more background knowledge (and critical thinking skills) available for them so they will be able to understand the reasons that I'm asking them to teach the way that I'm asking them to teach. So, that is an option we're looking into for the next academic year.

And wanting to do preschool centers/activity based learning next year...
And preparing the August Day Camp...
And preparing for next academic year...
And getting teachers and students ready for the end of Term 2...

It's just a little overwhelming...but I have to say...even amidst the busyness and the overwhelming list writing...I feel like we're making headway...a little bit at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment