Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Training Towards the Future

These past couple of weeks have been filled with teacher training.

I think I wrote before about last year's teacher training experience and the frustrations I felt in those meetings.

This time around, it was nothing like that at all.  Teachers were challenged and encouraged and we saw so much potential.

I was even encouraged during my time with the teachers, hearing that this was one of the most valuable trainings that some of them had ever experienced.

I felt overwhelmed with the task of training 16 teachers for this year, but I come out of it saying, "YES!  It is possible!".

I think this year is going to be awesome and I am looking forward to seeing how my role as a support to these teachers will be more effective this year.

We started talking to the teachers about a Budgeting and Savings program that we are making available to them this year...training them about how to save, how to tithe, and how to spend.  Really, we desire to see them make moves towards their future, financially.

But, when it gets down to it, this isn't just about training for our teachers financially for the future...it's training towards the future period.

Last night, we met with Righ O'Leary of Feeding the Orphans, and the Beebe family.  It was exciting to get to brainstorm ministry opportunities and ways that we can partner.  It was exciting to talk about the future of this ministry.  But most of all, it was exciting to say that THESE CHILDREN are going to change the future of Ghana.

The first day of our training this past week, we talked about the vision of our school:

"Faith Roots International Academy's vision is to raise up servant-leaders who exhibit the love of Christ and desire to transform their country and the world."

Yes, we want students who make the grades and do the work.  But in the end, those that will change the world are going to be the ones that lead by serving...the ones that desire to transform because they have been transformed by the powerful love of Christ...in Ghana and in the world.

So, by training these teachers, we are preparing for the future.  The lives of these teachers will be changed.  But, the goal is for the lives of these STUDENTS to be changed.

It's powerful.  An incredible responsibility.  But, a worthy calling!

In my wildest dreams, I never would have imagined where I am at today.  I originally came to Ghana to tutor children after school for a year.  And then, I ended up teaching a class of nine children, and overseeing the education of 18.  The next year, I ran a school of 120 students.  And this year, we are opening our doors to 185 students, 16 teachers, and 3 additional staff members...EVERYDAY.

I am trusting that because of the trainings the teachers received in these past couple of weeks, the continued trainings and support they will receive throughout the year ahead, and the love that God will speak through them...we are going to be looking at a pretty amazing school year.

And a pretty amazing future for these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment