Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, January 30, 2012

Adventures of 30

I'm sitting here in the London airport. I keep thinking to myself, "What am I doing?".

I was talking to my mom the other day and just talking about life. I've always been a bit timid. Not much of an adventurer. I don't like confrontation. I don't like situations with a bunch of new people. And yet, here I am...headed to Australia...by myself. Life keeps throwing me these confusing turns of events!

If I had had it my way, my life would have looked a lot different about now. I know that when I was younger, I dreamed of getting married, having a family, teaching in the States--some easy school that would make my family life easy too. And yet, nothing happened like that...and I like it! I can't imagine if I had been married earlier and had kids. Wow! So many things wouldn't have been possible for me to be called into.

My mom told me that when she told her dad, my grandfather whom I called Poppy, that I wanted to be a teacher, he told her that I would have to teach at a Christian school my whole life because I was too timid to do anything outside of my comfort zone.

And my first teaching job was teaching in EPA, an inner-city school. My second teaching job was starting a school in Ghana, West Africa. Yeah, I'm so glad that I'm not in control of my own destiny. I've had so many adventures simply by following where God wanted me to go instead of following plans of my own.

And here I am, traveling off by myself to Australia to meet up with friends of the ministry for a photo exhibition. My friend, Christy Lynch is coming in on the 6th and we'll be touring around a bit too for my birthday. So fun!

It's crazy sometimes to think about where I would have been and now where I am. I still am kinda scared of adventures, but God keeps calling me into them, so I keep going. It's kinda fun, even if there is a little anxiety behind it all.

Awww, the adventures of 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment