Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Monday, April 11, 2011

Putting on my Productive Pants

I realized, more than ever, today, how much kids crave structure. Today at school was just CRAZY as it wasn't our normal structure and we were rehearsing for our program on Wednesday. Talk about an opportunity for bad behavior...we kinda had it all today. But, I just keep saying to my self. . .2 more days. . .2 more days. . .Then, it'll be time for vacation and we can all take a bit of a break!

Anyway, when we got home from school, I put on my productive pants and got to work. Evelyn and Abigail helped me do my laundry after school. Portia even helped get the socks clean (thank you little one!).

I put Micheal and Miracle to work (as they are a constant source of energy and sometimes that gets them into trouble). They started picking up tiles that had been thrown out underneath the clothesline and we're constantly tripping on them. They worked hard all afternoon and will be back out there tomorrow working on getting them finished. All for a little bribe of encante burger (like a peanut in fried dough).

After finishing up my laundry, I was sitting chatting with one of our awesome NYU volunteers when Gracie told me that I should come and make the banku. So, I got up and decided to try my hand at stirring the banku in the pot. It's tough work, that banku. You have to stir it just right so that it doesn't burn and also work on getting it thick enough to put in little balls. Everyone thought it was awesome that I was making the banku and kept making comments about eating my "obruni banku" tonight. Too funny! Anyway, eventually, I got it to where it was just right and then I put them into the little balls. They sure did get a kick out of it and it was fun to give it a try (even if I didn't eat it--not my favorite food--unless it's paired with fresh peppers and tomatoes and onions all crushed together).

After that, I made it to my room in time to catch a call from Katie and got to chat a bit about the project and sending Nosa and Lucy there. They started finishing up their applications tonight so that they can get those sent off. Excited for them to experience my home while I get to experience theirs!

Tonight, I need to finish up report cards so I can meet with the kids tomorrow, though I feel like it's about time to take off my productive pants and take a bath. Whew! This getting work done business sure does make one sweat a lot!

1 comment:

  1. dang girl, you are working HARD. love to read your updates, it's amazing to hear how much love you're pouring into these kids!

    ReplyDelete