Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Sunday, November 14, 2010

All for the love of...water!

So, since we've moved to Doryum, we've learned a little bit about water consumption. We have learned the Doryum only has water every other week, so on the week when it's turned on (even if it's only a trickle), we have to place bucket after bucket under the tap to save the water and then pour it into our polytank to save it for our use later. Last week, we ran out of water in our polytank, the water out of the tap was practically nothing and we were showering (and by that, I mean taking bucket baths) only every other day. Our laundry hadn't been done in almost three weeks, and we knew we wouldn't make it through the weekend (with the huge feeding coming up) without some water. So, a huge tanker came in and filled up our 600 gallon polytank. Water. . .awwwww!!! But, now, the issue is that the polytank isn't high enough to create enough pressure for the water to actually flow into our sinks and toilets. We have to put our polytank on a big stand so that the distance it takes the water to flow down will actually cause enough pressure to make the water flow into our house. I am realizing more and more how much I take water for granted in the States. Here, I look forward to my daily bucket bath and am lucky in the water in the tank of the toilet is enough to flush. Back home, access to water isn't even a second thought. And that makes me think about the people that don't even have access to the water that we have access to, or the money for a tanker to bring in water. Access to water. . .clean or not. . .is a huge issue in a third world country.

And yet, today, we had an over-abundance of water! While we were in our worship service in Tema (where the worship leader gave this obruni a tough time today--noting that I wasn't singing some of the Twi words to the song--he came right up and fed the line to me, so I could sing along!), it was raining here in Doryum. And I mean, it must have been really pouring down because on our drive back home, the sides of the road were flooded. There were streams of water where none used to be. And when we turned down the road to our house, we didn't get very far in at all, when the tires began to spin and we were stuck. John tried to power his way through the slick mud for awhile before we all decided to walk back while they dug the van out of the mess. We took off our shoes and went tromping through the slick mud--and I mean SLICK! This clay is like walking on ice when it's wet! Anas and Edwin went down, and Evelyn and Justice too. And even Caleb took a nice seat in a puddle of mud (though I'm not sure if his was on purpose or on accident!). We went slipping and sliding down the road and finally made it to the house. The van followed after about 30 minutes of digging and powering through the mud! Whew! Today, all I could think was that we NEEDED a 4-wheel drive vehicle. . .ASAP! And when I got home, all I could think was, "Thank you Jesus for the water I can use to wash off my muddy feet!"

Awww. . .water. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment