Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Hot

It's the hot season.

Sometimes, I have to remind myself, "Hey, self, remember back to 2012 when you had no electricity out here at the children's village, and you survived? Remember? If you made it through then, you can make it through now."

You might have heard of Ghana's electricity crisis. In most places, the power is supplied for 24 hours and then turned off for 12. We are lucky out here at the children's village. It's 24 hours on and 12 off. I have to give myself that pep talk every time our 12 hour stint begins.

This season is not just hot, it's also humid. Temps veer towards 100 degrees each day and the humidity just makes it even hotter! The nights cool down to a cool 85 degrees. With a fan, it's bearable, but without, it can be a sweaty mess of a night that may or may night require a midnight cool-down shower.

Today, Stacy and I went into Accra to look for fabric for some new 7 Continents designs. I always enjoy days off with Stacy, exploring and having new adventures. We went into Teshie this morning to visit a batik factory. Today, they weren't applying wax, but were just completing the dyes and drying the fabrics. We met with the lady about special orders and she even offered to come out and meet our ladies and teach them the art of batiking. It was so cool! We sat in plastic chairs in the shade of a large tree as we haggled for prices, compared colors, and discussed samples and designs.


Then, we went to the woman's house to look at other options of fabrics that she had completed. Stacy laughed with the ladies, counting up yards of fabric with her very broken Twi. I just love her.

Afterwards, we went to a couple shops to pick up fabric to complete our designs. And then, it was out to eat at a smoothly shop in Osu. So delicious and refreshing.

Today was incredibly hot.

I think I literally sweat buckets.

On the way home, we were stuck in traffic for almost three hours. I fell asleep, but kind of that dazey  sleep where you aren't completely gone. I was sweating too much for that. Sweat literally dripping down my chin onto my shirt as I slept. (And need I mention that awkward mouth-open sleep thing that happens when you are sitting up and attempting to sleep?)

When I finally woke up and then arrived home, my pants were two different colors, dry on the front and wet on the back.

Oh, what a day!

But, even in this crazy heat, I love days like this. Time with my friend. Time to see a bit of Ghana and be reminded that I actually live in another country and not just my own little CORM world.

Right now it's a hot, hot life here in Ghana...but despite the heat (and the fact that I can't seem to wear enough deodorant to make it through the day), I love my life here.

(Also, as a side note, incredibly thankful for air conditioning in restaurants. It's just the best after a long hot morning in the sun and car rides that seem to never end.)

No comments:

Post a Comment