Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Friday, November 11, 2011

A Full Moon

The other night, we had a full moon. You always know that on nights with full moons, you'll have something weird happen, and this is exactly what happened!

John, Stacy, and I traveled to Accra on Thursday afternoon to welcome Kristie and Sydney O'Leary into the country. They had just arrived and we wanted to say hello. It was so wonderful to see them and a few other friends of theirs who came with her. And what a beautiful picture to see Kristie and Sydney with their new family members. Their court had just happened and they have two new children to add to the O'Leary family. Beautiful! The picture of adoption is just beautiful!

We went with them to CKO as well and got to see all the children there. So many little guys at that orphanage. I'm so glad Feeding the Orphans has partnered with that orphanage. They need all the help they can get!

After CKO, John and Stacy and I headed out to dinner at Melting Moments. This is a new restaurant that we found a few months back and it is yummy!! We ordered our food and we were just waiting for it to come in when a couple of guys walked in and Stacy and I could have sworn that one of them was Rod Stewart. Seriously, he looked exactly like him. They walked in, asked to see a menu, and when Stacy and I started talking about him, the two guys started whispering and handed back the menu and laughed. It looked like they didn't want him to be identified, so they just took off. So, we got to talking and talking about the whole thing and Stacy seriously researched pictures on Rod for the rest of the night! I mean, he's in Vegas for most of his nights in a week, so I can't imagine what he'd be doing in Ghana...but who knows!
Then, as we were talking, another customer got up to look at some of the delicious desserts that they had in their dessert display. She seriously walked just like my Grandma Wimmer. She stood like her. Her body was just like my Grandma. The only thing that was different was her face...and well, the fact that she was black. So, we talked about sighting Rod Stewart and my black grandma that night.

On the way out of the restaurant, we drove past this girl that was literally wearing this dress that went down to, well, pretty much covered her butt and that is as low as it went. Stacy and I were talking and saying that she needed to put on some clothes when John told us that she was a prostitute. We looked around and saw probably 6 more girls in very similar clothes on the same area. Let me tell you about where we were driving...one of the wealthiest areas of Accra--East Lagon. This place is where all the foreigners live (well, not all...as we don't live there). A lot of foreign dignitaries live there, visitors, important people from other countries. And here, there are prostitutes in the middle of their neighborhoods. It made me really sad. I've heard how college students come here and sleep around with guys (which is part of the reason why young college aged Americans or foreigners get hit on so much), but for older family men to go looking around for this on the streets of Ghana while their families are at home in their country...oh, this world sometimes makes me so sad.

It seems like I always get more and more of a picture of the work that needs to be done. And it's not just here in Ghana. There is work all over the world to be done. People need to know about Jesus because the way that so many people are living...it will kill them. And Jesus is life.
Needless to say, we had an interesting night on Thursday. We saw the FTO gang (which was super sweet), Rod Stewart, my black grandma, and prostitutes. Yeah, I'd call that a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment