Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back in Ghana!

So, I made it back yesterday after kinda a crazy flying experience.

I was so excited to get to meet with Jenn Sinclair, a friend from college who was flying in on Delta from Atlanta at the same time as me. Unfortunately, when I got in to JFK yesterday (was that just yesterday??--no, I guess that was the day before...Friday), there was a storm brewing and Jenn's plane was delayed because it couldn't land in New York. So, I waited and waited and the rain began to pour down and the sky turned black and thunder and lightening started up...and Jenn never came. They wouldn't let planes land and they wouldn't let planes take off.

Finally, the storm started quieting down a little bit and we started boarding our flight to Ghana. We were all settled and boarding when they told us that they were going to do a drink service because we were going to be on the ground for awhile. Yeah, AWHILE turned out to be 3 hours. We sat on the runway for almost 3 solid hours. We were supposed to leave at 9:30 pm and we didn't end up leaving until after midnight...and we just had to sit in the plane. The poor guy sitting next to me was going stir crazy!

But, I made it home. It was fun to have John, Christy, Tom, and Nosa greet me at the airport. Such familiar faces and having Christy here is just a little piece of my NorCal home, so that has been fun too.

When we made it back to the house, the kids came running from everywhere to see me and it's been so fun to hang out with all the kids again! Edwin came and sat on my lap for the majority of the night, and he sure did give me lots of kisses. Portia and Malvin have barely left my side and Justice has been extraordinarily huggy! The kids are wonderful!

And I have had the awesome opportunity to meet Dora and Mary. They are so cute! Poor Mary has measles though, so now she is being treated in the hospital since it is so contagious. Dora seems like she goes through crying periods like Abby once did, but that girl loves to dance. She got right into worship this morning. I think it's going to be awhile before they feel completely at home, but they are doing very well so far.

Loving being back and already see the craziness that is ahead of me.

School is starting up soon and there is still SO MUCH to do...praying for all of it to be ready before the big day--September 7th is the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

2 comments:

  1. Autumn! I am sad that it not work out for us to connect this summer, but know you are in my prayers and how excited I am so hear about the school opening!! if possible do you think your students as a WHOLE class... can send my class some kind of correspondence throughout the year??? We can even try Skype depending on the time difference. I have had Hungarian Pen Pals for my individual students, but it would be awesome if it was just like I said ONE card/ picture from the whole class or school. Let me know what you think bc I know you have lots on your plate and I don't want to add:) Love you friend and September 7th is in my prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you send me info via email and i will ask parents at back to school night Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete