Hello!

Hello!
My name is Autumn Buzzell and I live and work in Ghana, West Africa with City of Refuge Ministries. Here, I run our school, Faith Roots International Academy, and get to be a part in rescuing and the healing of children who have been trafficked into the fishing trade, orphaned, abandoned, and those who just need a little extra loving. What an amazing gift this life is!

Get Involved

Learn More

Donate

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Story Time

Last year, when I was teaching our kids, I would spend about 15-30 minutes a day reading from a novel.  The kids loved it!  We started with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Each day we'd read a little bit, and then on Fridays, we would watch just the part that we had read that week of the movie.  Oh, they would get so excited to see if the book and the movie were the same and when I had to shut it off...the groans that would come were so funny!!

We read all kinds of books last year...some with movies and some without.  But, all in all, the kids began to enjoy reading and because of their English language skills, using the movies to give them a picture of what the books were saying was so fun.

Well, this year, I haven't been able to do any reading to them.  I'm not in the classrooms anymore (at least not as a teacher) and so I don't get that "book" time with the kids anymore.  So sad!  But, this break, I thought it would be fun to read to the kids, so we started Story Time a couple days ago.

I'm reading the book "Matilda" to the kids and so far, they're loving the fact that Matilda is just this small girl who is thinking up all these crazy ways to "get" her parents (who are incredibly mean, by the way). 

Last night, we read how Matilda put superglue in her dad's hat, and how she put a bird in their chimney then made them believe their house was haunted, and finally, how she could add incredibly difficult numbers in her head at just 5 years of age.

They're loving it!  So, hopefully, next week we'll have time to finish the book and watch the movie.  They're excited for that part!  If we finish it soon, maybe I'll have to track down another book and movie...I think I have Holes somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment